Fast-freezing sperm boon for childless men
London: A new technique could be a boon for men with low sperm counts, cancer, or HIV, helping them father healthy kids.
Fast-freezing of sperm, known as vitrification, as against the slow-freezing method currently in use, helps sperm retains high levels of activity, say experts.
Current techniques mean the sperm only retains 30 to 40 percent of activity. But quick freezing nearly doubles the activity, reports the Daily Mail.
The study, conducted by experts in Chile and Germany, is scheduled for presentation at the World Congress of Fertility and Sterility in Munich.
Raul Sanchez from La Frontera University in Chile, who led the research, said: "This work shows that we can preserve functional sperm via vitrification, which gives a greater chance of success for patients with low sperm counts."
"The other great advantage of this technique is that it can eliminate potential sources of infection such as AIDS or hepatitis B, which are present in seminal plasma," he added.
Vitrification is already used to quick-freeze eggs and embryos with success, allowing spare ones to be used in IVF at a later date.
IVF or in vitro fertilisation is a process by which egg cells are fertilised by sperm outside the womb.
Following thawing, more eggs and embryos survive with vitrification than with older, slower cooling techniques.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks