Faster method for converting fat cells to liver cells discovered
Washington: Scientists have developed a fast, efficient way to turn cells extracted from routine liposuction into liver cells.
The scientists at Stanford University School of Medicine performed their experiments in mice, but the adipose stem cells they used came from human liposuction aspirates and became human, liver-like cells that flourished inside the mice's bodies.
All aspects of the new fat-to-liver technique are adaptable for human use, Gary Peltz, MD, PhD, professor of anesthesia and the study's senior author said. Creating iPS cells requires introducing foreign and potentially carcinogenic genes. But adipose stem cells merely have to be harvested from fat tissue.
The process takes nine days from start to finish- fast enough to regenerate liver tissue in acute liver poisoning victims, who would otherwise die within a few weeks, barring liver transplantation.
Peltz said that they believe their method will be transferable to the clinic, and because the new liver tissue is derived from a person's own cells, they do not expect that immunosuppressants will be needed.
Liver cells are not something an adipose stem cell normally wants to turn into, Peltz said.
Peltz and his associates were able to achieve the conversion within nine days with an efficiency of 37 percent, as opposed to the vastly lower yield obtained with the prior method (12 percent) or using iPS cells.
The study is published in journal Cell Transplantation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Rio Olympic 2016: IOA taking steps to nullify Zika virus threat on Indian contingent
- Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016: Check rajeduboard.nic.in for BSER/RBSE 8th board result 2016
- Cong MLAs, Rashid stage walkout from J&K Assembly
- Shocking CCTV footage of deadly suicide blasts at Istanbul's Ataturk airport captured: Watch
- Kejriwal chides Goa CM over tainted relative