Fat near heart can predict kidney patients` deaths
Vancouver: Fat deposits around the heart - which can be spotted through simple CT scans - can help predict the risk of death in patients with chronic kidney disease, research shows.
The study, published in the journal Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, was conducted by scientists from Canada, Venezuela, Italy and the US, Xinhua reported.
"We wanted to know if this type of heart fat is related to poor outcomes for patients with chronic kidney disease, and it was a very clear marker of risk," said Paolo Raggi, a researcher from the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada.
"The greater the amount of fat around the heart, the greater the mortality rates were in patients."
After examining CT scans of 109 American patients with chronic kidney disease from a randomised, clinical trial, the researchers found that for every 10 cubic cm increase in heart fat, the risk of death rose six percent.
The findings also showed that high levels of calcium or plaque in the arteries and high cholesterol levels were strong predictors of large volumes of heart fat.
Previous research showed a link between this heart fat and plaque buildup in the heart arteries, according to the researchers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read