Faulty `brain wiring` may cause dyslexia
London: A new study has revealed that people with dyslexia are unable to read or spell properly because of communication problems in their brain.
It has been long believed that dyslexia is a result of an inability of the brain to learn all the small sound units or "phonemes" used to build up words, but the new study suggested that the real problem lies in one part of the brain not being able to link up with another, the Independent reported.
Bert Boets , a clinical psychologist at the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium, found that the dyslexic group was just as accurate as the non-dyslexics in completing the tasks and that the "crispness" of their brain scans were equal or even better to the people who could read normally.
When the researchers analysed the overall activity of the brain, the dyslexics were notably different to the non-dyslexics.
The dyslexics showed less coordination between the 13 brain regions that process basic phonemes and a region of the brain called Broca's area, which is involved in higher-level language processing.
The study suggested that a dysfunctional connection between frontal and temporal language areas of the brain impedes efficient access to otherwise intact representations of speech sounds, thus hampering a person's ability to manipulate them fluently.
The study is published in the journal Science.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list