Fermented milk has therapeutic effect on chronic gastritis
Washington: Fermented milk is effective in the therapeutic treatment of chronic gastritis, according to a study.
Gastritis produced by acetyl-salicylic acid (ASA) consumption is a common disorder worldwide.
The use of probiotics has been proposed to ameliorate different gastrointestinal tract diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.
However, little attention has been paid to the use of probiotics in gastric disease.
The health-promoting effects ascribed to probiotic strains or fermented foods arise not only from bacteria themselves but also from the metabolites produced during fermentation such as exopolysaccharides (EPS).
These polymers have been claimed to modulate the immune response and to display anti-ulcer activities.
The new study indicates that the milk fermented with S. thermophilus CRL 1190 and/or its EPS was effective in the therapeutic treatment of chronic gastritis by modulating the immune response of the mice and by increasing the thickness of the gastric mucus gel layer.
The fermented milk showed a similar protective effect to omeprazole.
The application of this fermented milk and/or its EPS constitutes a potential natural alternative for the prevention and treatment of ASA-associated gastric damage.
The study will be published in the World Journal of Gastroenterology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi