Fermented milk has therapeutic effect on chronic gastritis
Washington: Fermented milk is effective in the therapeutic treatment of chronic gastritis, according to a study.
Gastritis produced by acetyl-salicylic acid (ASA) consumption is a common disorder worldwide.
The use of probiotics has been proposed to ameliorate different gastrointestinal tract diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.
However, little attention has been paid to the use of probiotics in gastric disease.
The health-promoting effects ascribed to probiotic strains or fermented foods arise not only from bacteria themselves but also from the metabolites produced during fermentation such as exopolysaccharides (EPS).
These polymers have been claimed to modulate the immune response and to display anti-ulcer activities.
The new study indicates that the milk fermented with S. thermophilus CRL 1190 and/or its EPS was effective in the therapeutic treatment of chronic gastritis by modulating the immune response of the mice and by increasing the thickness of the gastric mucus gel layer.
The fermented milk showed a similar protective effect to omeprazole.
The application of this fermented milk and/or its EPS constitutes a potential natural alternative for the prevention and treatment of ASA-associated gastric damage.
The study will be published in the World Journal of Gastroenterology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage