Figs are extremely nutritious
This sweet-tasting fruit is very nutritious and has many health benefits.
Though figs are seasonal fruits, they are available throughout the year in the dried form. They taste more yummy in its dried form and are very nutritious as they contain vitamins A, B, and minerals like phosphorus, calcium, iron and manganese. Here are some benefits of figs bet you didn`t know about:
- Pectin, a soluble fibre found in figs is beneficial for the digestive system. This soluble fibre helps in clearing out the accumulating cholesterol in the body.
- Hypertension may arise when there`s more intake if sodium and low potassium levels in the body. Figs however, are low in sodium and high in potassium and hence, helps in prevention of hypertension.
- Dried figs are said to contain omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids along with phenol. These are useful in preventing coronary heart diseases.
- Figs are also a source of calcium, which is good for strengthening of the bones.
- Because figs are rich in potassium, it helps in regulating blood sugar. This is beneficial for people who are diabetics. Also, people whose diet is sodium may suffer form urinary calcium loss. The high potassium content in figs, helps in prevention of this.
- Eating figs are said to be an effective cure for treating sore throat because of their high mucilage content.
- Traditionally, figs have also been used for treating sexual weakness. The remedy requires one to soak about two to three figs in milk overnight and eat the same next morning.
- Because figs contain iron, they are useful in treating anaemia.
- Mash about fresh figs and them on your face and leave for 10 to 15 minutes. This is useful for treating acne and pimples.
- It is said that eating figs can relieve fatigue and boost brain power too.
- As one grows older, one tends to suffer from macular degeneration i.e. weakness of the vision. Eating figs can hep prevent this.