First batch of DPT vaccines rolled out
Coonoor (TN): The first consignment of 15 lakh doses of DPT vaccines to cure three infectious diseases in humans -- diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus-- was flagged off from Pasteur Institute of India here.
The production of DPT vaccine in the famous Institute was stopped from January 15, 2008, following its failure to comply with the Good Manufacturing Practice.
However, the general public and the staff had protested the closure, claiming that then UPA government wanted to shift the facility to Chennai.
The consignment would be supplied to the Universal Immunisation Programme of the health ministry, S K Rao, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family welfare, told reporters, after flagging off the two trucks of consignment
The present manufacturing capacity of two lakh doses would be increased to 10 lakh doses in the near future, he said.
The ministry has sanctioned Rs 150 crore for the modernisation and other infrastructure development in the Institute, the works for which would begin from next month, Rao said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!