First batch of DPT vaccines rolled out
Coonoor (TN): The first consignment of 15 lakh doses of DPT vaccines to cure three infectious diseases in humans -- diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus-- was flagged off from Pasteur Institute of India here.
The production of DPT vaccine in the famous Institute was stopped from January 15, 2008, following its failure to comply with the Good Manufacturing Practice.
However, the general public and the staff had protested the closure, claiming that then UPA government wanted to shift the facility to Chennai.
The consignment would be supplied to the Universal Immunisation Programme of the health ministry, S K Rao, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family welfare, told reporters, after flagging off the two trucks of consignment
The present manufacturing capacity of two lakh doses would be increased to 10 lakh doses in the near future, he said.
The ministry has sanctioned Rs 150 crore for the modernisation and other infrastructure development in the Institute, the works for which would begin from next month, Rao said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand