Fish offer clues on deadly liver cancer
London: The commonest type of liver cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), is a leading cause of deaths related to the disease worldwide. Researchers have now used fish to collect new information that might help diagnose and treat it.
Although there are several treatment options available, they are largely unsuccessful because the disease is so poorly understood.
Clinical studies of patients with HCC, combined with studies using mice and other animal models, have provided some clues but many questions about how to diagnose and treat this deadly form of cancer remain.
Zhiyuan Gong and Serguei Parinov from the National University of Singapore decided to pursue these questions using zebrafish as a model system, reports the journal Disease Models and Mechanisms.
Their study uncovers new information that might help diagnose and treat HCC in humans, and shows that zebrafish are a powerful and cost-effective model to study liver cancer, according to a National University statement.
Previous work indicated that cancer cells from patients with HCC always have abnormally high activation of a cellular pathway called Ras.
However, whether and how the Ras pathway actually causes liver cancer was not clear. To focus in on this issue, Gong and Parinov created genetically engineered zebrafish to express a cancer-causing form of Ras (krasV12) in the liver.
Fish having the highest expression of krasV12 died rapidly of malignant liver cancer (mostly within 30 days), whereas fish with lower krasV12 expression survived longer and did not develop full-blown disease.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know