Fish oil can limit brain damage
Baton Rouge: A new study has pointed out that fish oil contains a substance that may help to limit or prevent brain damage following a stroke, if given within 5 hours after the stroke.
Dr Nicolas Bazan at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center said docosahexaenoic acid -- a component of fish oil -- is a powerful therapeutic agent that can protect brain tissue and promote stroke recovery, even when treatment is delayed by up to five hours.
"We are just now beginning to understand the significant impact of omega-3 essential fatty acids on stroke. There is no simple solution just yet, but each new discovery brings us closer to defeating stroke and other debilitating neurodegenerative diseases," said Bazan.
These findings not only target a new stroke treatment approach, but also provide vital information about the length of the therapeutic window.
To determine how DHA might be effective in stroke treatment and recovery, Bazan and his colleagues compared DHA and saline administered intravenously at 3, 4, 5, and 6 hours after the onset of stroke.
MRIs showed that neurological deficits were reduced by the administration of DHA. It also reduced swelling and facilitated neurobehavioral recovery.
The area of destroyed tissue was reduced by an average of 59 per cent at 5 hours.
The research is published in the Translational Stroke Research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls