Fish oils may help prevent blindness in elderly
Washington: Fish oils could help prevent
the development of blindness in elderly people, according to
an American research.
Macular degeneration is a condition usually of older
adults that results in a loss of vision in the centre of the
visual field (the macula) because of damage to the retina.
It can make it difficult to read or recognize faces, although
enough peripheral vision remains to allow other activities of
The findings of the research, which were published in
the American Journal of Pathology, showed that a diet high in
omega three oils reduced the risk of developing age related
mucular degeneration, which causes loss of central vision in
the eye. It is thought the fish oils work by reducing inflammation levels.
Approximately 10 per cent of patients 66 to 74 years
of age will have findings of macular degeneration. The
prevalence increases to 30 per cent in patients 75 to 85 years
The study at the National Eye Institute in Bethesda,
discovered that mice put on a diet high in omega three oils
had slower progression of the leisons in the eye and some
improvement, the Daily Telegraph has reported.
The researchers are now working on new treatments
that might delay the onset of macular degeneration, the report
quoted lead author Dr Chi Chan as saying.
According to earlier research at Tufts University in
Boston, a diet rich in omega three, found in mackerel and
salmon, can help cut the risk of developing macular
degeneration by a third in humans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?