Fist bumps more hygienic than handshakes
London: Fist bumps may be a more hygienic greeting than shaking hands, according to a new study which found that germ transfer was 90 per cent lower when bumping fists than during a handshake.
Researchers at Aberystwyth University in the UK said habitual handshaking allows movement of germs between people, and can help spread contagious illness.
Using rubber gloves and a thick layer of E coli, scientists exchanged handshakes, high fives and fist bumps.
They found that transfer of potentially disease-causing bacteria is highest during a handshake.
Dr Dave Whitworth, Senior lecturer at Aberystwyth University, and PhD student Sara Mela carried out the research, dipping a glove into a bacterial broth before gingerly extending a hand.
The pair tested three different greetings and assessed the amount of germs transferred from each contact.
They found that a high dose of bugs were passed on during a handshake.
This was reduced by over half in the high-five, and germ transfer was a whopping 90 per cent lower when bumping fists.
The hygienic nature of the fist bump may be due in part to its speed (typically much quicker than a first-rate handshake) but also because there is a smaller area involved.
Direct contact is needed for most microbes to move, so minimising the parts of the hand that touch gives bacteria less chance to spread.
The fist-bumping researchers also looked at grip strength and found that a stronger handshake increased the amount of bacteria shared.
The study was published in the American Journal of Infection Control.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata