Fist bumps more hygienic than handshakes
London: Fist bumps may be a more hygienic greeting than shaking hands, according to a new study which found that germ transfer was 90 per cent lower when bumping fists than during a handshake.
Researchers at Aberystwyth University in the UK said habitual handshaking allows movement of germs between people, and can help spread contagious illness.
Using rubber gloves and a thick layer of E coli, scientists exchanged handshakes, high fives and fist bumps.
They found that transfer of potentially disease-causing bacteria is highest during a handshake.
Dr Dave Whitworth, Senior lecturer at Aberystwyth University, and PhD student Sara Mela carried out the research, dipping a glove into a bacterial broth before gingerly extending a hand.
The pair tested three different greetings and assessed the amount of germs transferred from each contact.
They found that a high dose of bugs were passed on during a handshake.
This was reduced by over half in the high-five, and germ transfer was a whopping 90 per cent lower when bumping fists.
The hygienic nature of the fist bump may be due in part to its speed (typically much quicker than a first-rate handshake) but also because there is a smaller area involved.
Direct contact is needed for most microbes to move, so minimising the parts of the hand that touch gives bacteria less chance to spread.
The fist-bumping researchers also looked at grip strength and found that a stronger handshake increased the amount of bacteria shared.
The study was published in the American Journal of Infection Control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister