Five foods that cut cholesterol
It is necessary to keep a check on your lovable heart. Read on know what kind of food is the best to keep you young and healthy at heart and that naturally cut your cholesterol.
Oats and high fibre food
Eating a bowl of oatmeal can actually go a long way in reducing lipoproteins level also known as bad cholesterol as it contains soluble fibre. Now, this soluble fibre helps in reduction of absorption of cholesterol in the blood. A regular intake of say around five grams of this soluble fibre proves to be very beneficial. Oats can be included in breads, muffins and a variety of other food which can be eaten at the time of breakfast.
Olive oil contains cholesterol-lowering agents and antioxidants that help lower bad cholesterol while keeping the good cholesterol unaffected. Try eating around 23 grams of olive oil a day as an alternative to other oils that you use and avail its benefits.
Experts suggest that drinking a cup of green tea can significantly cut bad cholesterol. It contains cholesterol-lowering agent folic acid, which decreases the absorption of cholesterol in the blood. It prevents blood clotting, thereby strengthening the heart and protecting it from stroke and other cardiovascular diseases.
According to nutritionists, nuts block cholesterol absorption in the blood and also reduce the amount of triglyceride, thereby lowering the risk of heart diseases. They contain ample amount of proteins, fibre, vitamins and monounsaturated fats that constitutes a well-balanced low cholesterol diet. Nuts like hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios are very healthy to snack on.
Soybeans are an inexpensive and nutritionally complete food in itself. Studies suggest that soybeans contain isoflavones that help in lowering of cholesterol to about 10%. They are a rich source of vitamins, calcium, phosphorous and iron. They also serve as a good replacement for animal fats.
Compilation by: Shruti Saxena
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?