Five reasons why antidepressants are bad for you
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Using antidepressants may help in treating major depressive disorder and other mental illnesses such anxiety disorders, sleep disorders, etc. However, various studies have shown that these medications can also have significant side effects and dangers.
Some side effects may get vanished after the first few weeks of drug treatments, but others continue and may even get worse.
Here are five reasons why antidepressants are not good for your health based on different studies and research:
Weight issues: Weight issues are one factor common among antidepressants. Some patients may report weight gain, others report weight loss depending on the types of drug they take.
Sexual health: One of the common side effects is decreased interest in sex, failure to reach orgasm and erectile dysfunction. Sexual side-effects are common with SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors).
Sperm: According to a 2009 study, more than 40 percent of the 35 healthy participants who took the SSRI paroxetine (Paxil) for four weeks had sperm with fragmented DNA, which could affect fertility. Therefore, men are advised to consult their doctors about antidepressants.
Bones health: While some studies have linked SSRIs with lower bone density and more hip fractures in older people, other studies differ with the findings.
Suicide: The link between antidepressants use and suicide risk is unsure and hence, it remains the target of medical research. Some studies have associated some antidepressants with increased risk of suicide in some patients, especially youth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Facebook hires top ex-Google executive for internet projects
- Want a better life? Practice these 5 habits – Watch video
- Toyota launches new engine facility in Bengaluru
- Rio-bound boxer Manoj Kumar reaches out to PM Narendra Modi – Here's why
- Subramanian Swamy denies targeting Arun Jaitley, says he looks very smart in a coat