Five reasons why is it important for you to donate blood!
Giving your blood could mean saves a life, or even several if your blood is separated into its components.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Donating blood is one of the noblest deeds you can do to help others. Perhaps, blood is the most precious gift that anyone can give to another person - the gift of life.
Giving your blood could mean saves a life, or even several if your blood is separated into its components - red cells, platelets and plasma - which can be used individually for patients with specific conditions. Following are some reasons why you should consider donating blood.
- Blood transfusion is needed for many complex medical and surgical procedures, cancer patients, women with complications of pregnancy, and children with severe anaemia often resulting from malaria or malnutrition.
- People with conditions such as thalassaemia and sickle cell disease need regular blood transfusion.
- Many patients requiring blood transfusion do not have timely access to safe blood due to availability of blood resulting in deaths.
- It is required because blood cannot currently be made despite medical and technological advances. Hence, the only way of getting hold of it is via blood donations from people.
- Blood and its components have a limited life before use and regular donations by healthy people can help ensure availability of safe blood when patients with specific conditions need it.
Hence, the need for blood is constant and your contribution can do wonders toward a healthy and reliable blood supply.