Food combinations that hinder digestion
London: Fruit with porridge in the morning or a dairy smoothie for breakfast have for long been considered a healthy and nutritious breakfast, but such items can cause digestion.
Nutritionist Elizabeth Montgomery gives an overview on why these food combinations hinder digestion, and which food combinations one should opt for, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
Five faulty food combinations:
* Animal protein and carbohydrates: Different enzymes are required to breakdown these very different foods. When eaten together, the foods do not get properly digested. That leads to indigestion, fermentation and putrefaction in the digestive tract.
* Fruit with carbohydrates: Fruit digests much more quickly than any other food. Many people think that adding fruit to porridge is a healthy breakfast option. However, it will only hinder the digestive process. It’s better to always eat fruit on an empty stomach and ideally early in the morning.
* Dairy with fruit: Smoothies are a breakfast favourite for many people. The problem is that yogurt is an animal protein and when mixed with fruit, it can cause inadequate digestion which leads to acidity, and fermentation in the GI tract.
* Avoid drinking with meals: It’s best to avoid drinking large amounts of any fluid with meals, otherwise the digestive enzymes will become diluted and hinder the digestive process. It’s best to stop drinking 30 minutes before food intake and and wait two hours after eating before drinking water, to ensure adequate digestion.
* Melon after dinner for a healthy dessert: Melon is the one fruit that must be eaten alone, or left alone, as it takes slightly longer than other fruits to digest.
Five useful food combinations:
* Carbohydrates and vegetables such as brown rice and vegetables.
* Animal protein and non-starchy vegetables make for easy digestion, which will enhance one’s ability to breakdown the nutrients and eliminate efficiently. Prawns on a bed of green leaves with cucumber and fennel or grilled fish with lightly steamed green beans.
* Bowl of seasonal fruit salad first thing in the morning. This is a gentle way to wake up the system.
* Avocados combine well with either vegetables or fruits. This semi tropical fruit also works well in green smoothies and makes a great dairy replacement.
* Aim to ingest denser proteins, especially animal-based ones earlier in the day to ensure adequate digestion.