Foods that may help fight inflammation revealed
Washington: One way to fight inflammation, which is the body`s normal response to injury, is with food, says experts.
Lauren Whitt, Ph.D., UAB Employee Wellness director and adjunct professor of personal health said that the inflammation process has one goal: to respond immediately to detect and destroy the toxic material in damaged tissues before it can spread throughout the body.
She said that the trouble with inflammation occurs when the defence system gets out-of-control and begins to destroy healthy tissue, causing more damage than the original issue.
According to the National Council on Strength and Fitness Obesity has even been found to cause inflammation, and it can lead to the development of cardiovascular and metabolic disease. But weight loss is related to reduction of inflammation.
Whitt said that she encourage people to focus on eating foods that are high in fiber.
Anti-inflammatory foods to try:
Citrus fruits - Vitamin C and Vitamin E are essential antioxidants
Dark, leafy greens - High in Vitamin K
Tomatoes - The fruit`s red pigment, lycopene, is a potent antioxidant
Wild-caught salmon - Contains a rich concentration of omega-3 fatty acids
Whitt added that eating anti-inflammatory foods should not be viewed as daunting.
She said that eating to minimize inflammation doesn`t have to be an overwhelming task as one can easily incorporating leafy greens into a salad at lunch, or add a piece of whole fruit to the breakfast.
In addition, Whitt said to consume more foods straight from the farm, as well as fewer processed and fried foods. Doing so may reduce the need for some medications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!
- UN blacklists Indian-flagged cargo vessel carrying Libyan oil
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU
- Navjot Singh Sidhu takes oath as Rajya Sabha member – SEE PICS