Forget dieting to stay fit
Want to stay fit and look good? Well, then change your focus from dieting to living healthy during the holidays.
Stefanie Barthmare at the Methodist Weight Management Center in Houston says stop counting every calorie and restricting yourself from your holiday favourites and instead try focusing on the core elements of living a healthy lifestyle, i.e. staying active in your everyday life.
"If you can`t get to the gym, do whatever it takes to move your body. Walk the dog more, plan a walking coffee break at work, play in the yard with the kids after dinner, or throw the football around with your brothers," Barthmare said.
"Plan an active, rather than a passive vacation this holiday season. If you normally go somewhere to sit, read and eat, plan a trip where you hike, bike or ski. Learn a new sport just for fun, and notice the impact on your waistline," the psychotherapist said.
Another way to avoid overindulgence is to turn the focus of holiday gatherings away from food and to connecting with family and friends.
Put more emphasis on finding out what others have been doing, what you have in common and how you can support one another at holiday functions.
"If you`ve been dieting all year long, you`re going to want to cut loose during the holidays and indulge in all your favourite treats," Barthmare said.
"But, this year, try switching the focus. Eat well all year, keep your body moving and make time for connections. Then you can have some guilt free holiday indulgences without sacrificing the goal of maintaining your perfect weight," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended