Forgiveness is good for your heart: Study
London: Forgive and forget! The mantra could be the secret to good health, a new research has suggested.
Researchers from the University of California, San Diego, found that people who let go of their anger were less likely to see spikes in blood pressure, a newspaper reported.
It found that forgiveness could `lower reactivity` to stressful events and even offer `sustained protection` from the physical impact.
The study asked over 200 volunteers to think about a time when a friend had offended them. Half of the group were told to think about how it had angered them while the other half were encouraged to consider it in a more forgiving way.
The participants were then all distracted for five minutes after which they were told to think about the event again in any way they chose.
The participants were wired up to monitors, which took blood pressure and heart rate readings.
The team, led by Dr Britta Larsen, found the angry group saw the greatest increase in blood pressure compared to the forgiving group after the first ruminating session.
The effect was seen later on despite having the brief timeout period to calm down. However, there was no differences in heart rate.
The study which was published in the Journal of Biobehavioural Medicines.
A longer period high blood pressure or hypertension increases the risk of heart attack or stroke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog