Found! Hormone that makes you pile on pounds
Sydney: A hormone like leptin could hold the key to why and how people pile on pounds.
Our bodies secrete leptin in response to increasing fat deposits, said Tony Tiganis, professor in biochemistry at the Monash University`s Obesity and Diabetes Institute.
"Leptin instructs the body to increase energy expenditure and decrease food intake, and so helps us maintain a healthy body weight," said Tiganis, who led the study.
"The body`s response to leptin is diminished in overweight and obese individuals, giving rise to the concept of `leptin-resistance`," said Tiganis, the journal Cell Metabolism reports.
Two proteins are already known to inhibit leptin in the brain. Tiganis` team have discovered a third, according to a Monash statement.
In mice, this third protein becomes more abundant with weight-gain, exacerbating leptin-resistance and hastening progression to morbid obesity.
The study showed that these three proteins that regulate leptin take effect at different stages, shedding light on how obesity progresses.
High fat diet-induced weight gain is largely prevented in engineered mice when two of these proteins are deleted in the brain, the study suggested.
"We now have to determine what happens when all three negative regulators are neutralised. Do we prevent high fat diet-induced obesity?
"Humans have a deep-seated attraction to overeating and nutrient-rich food, inherited from our hunter-gatherer ancestors. Now that food is more readily available and our lifestyles are less active, our evolutionary drive to overeat is becoming problematic," said Tiganis.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know