Four tomatoes a day may reduce kidney cancer risk: Study
New York: Love tomatoes? You have more reasons to relish them as a tomato-rich diet may lower kidney cancer risk, especially in case of women.
Women who eat more tomatoes or other lycopene-containing fruits and vegetables may have a lower risk of developing kidney cancer, a study suggests.
"The amount of lycopene in the diet of the women who consumed lycopene at the highest level in the study would be equal to eating four tomatoes daily," study researcher Won Jin Ho, a medical resident at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio, was quoted as saying in a Live Science report.
Lycopene is an antioxidant that also gives tomato, watermelon, grapefruit and papaya its reddish colour.
In the new study, the researchers looked at nearly 92,000 post-menopausal women.
The amount of micronutrients including lycopene in the women's diets was estimated from the information they provided on questionnaires when they enrolled in the study.
During the study period, 383 women were diagnosed with kidney cancer.
The results showed that only lycopene was associated with a lower kidney cancer risk.
Women who consumed the highest amount of lycopene had a 45 percent lower risk of kidney cancer compared with those who ate the lowest amount, the study noted.
"It is likely that the women received lycopene not just from tomatoes but also from tomato sauces and other fruits that contain lycopene," Ho commented.
The findings were presented at the annual meeting of the American Society for Clinical Oncology in Chicago recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?