Fresh hope for infertile men
Washington: A new study has found that stem cells made from the skin of adult, infertile men yield primordial germ cells - cells that normally become sperm - when transplanted into the reproductive system of mice.
The infertile men in the study each had a type of genetic mutation that prevented them from making mature sperm - a condition called azoospermia.
The research at the Stanford University School of Medicine and Montana State University suggests that the men with azoospermia may have had germ cells at some point in their early lives, but lost them as they matured to adulthood.
Although the researchers were able to create primordial germ cells from the infertile men , their stem cells made far fewer of these sperm progenitors than did stem cells from men without the mutations.
The research provides a useful, much-needed model to study the earliest steps of human reproduction.
"We saw better germ-cell differentiation in this transplantation model than we've ever seen," Renee Reijo Pera, PhD, former director of Stanford's Center for Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research and Education said.
"We were amazed by the efficiency. Our dream is to use this model to make a genetic map of human germ-cell differentiation, including some of the very earliest stages," Pera said.
The research is set to be published in Cell Reports.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference