Fructose does not cause any more harm than glucose: Study
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Substituting fructose with glucose will not make you healthier if portion sizes and calories are the same, according to a new study.
Researchers from St. Michael’s Hospital found that fructose - the sugar most commonly blamed for obesity - does not cause any more harm than glucose.
"Despite concerns about fructose’s link to obesity, there is no justification to replace fructose with glucose because there is no evidence of net harm,” said John Sievenpiper, a researcher in the Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Centre of St. Michael's.
Dr. Sievenpiper and his team compared the effects of fructose and glucose against several health risk factors and found that consuming fructose may increase total cholesterol and postprandial triglycerides, a type of fat found in blood.
However, fructose did not appear to affect insulin production, other fat levels in the blood stream or markers of fatty liver disease any more than glucose did.
In fact, fructose showed potential benefits over glucose in some key risk factor categories.
“Some healthcare analysts have thought fructose to be the cause of obesity because it’s metabolised differently than glucose,” said Sievenpiper.
In calorie-matched conditions, we found that fructose may actually be better at promoting healthy body weight, blood pressure and glycemic control than glucose, he added.
Fructose, a simple sugar found in honey, fruit, vegetables and other plants, is also the basis of high-fructose corn syrup - a sweetener often found in commercially prepared foods.
The combination of both fructose and glucose produces sucrose, generally known as table sugar.
Sievenpiper said he feels that over consumption, rather than a type of sugar, is one of the leading causes of obesity.
The findings were published in the journal Current Opinion in Lipidology.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone