Fructose does not cause any more harm than glucose: Study
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Substituting fructose with glucose will not make you healthier if portion sizes and calories are the same, according to a new study.
Researchers from St. Michael’s Hospital found that fructose - the sugar most commonly blamed for obesity - does not cause any more harm than glucose.
"Despite concerns about fructose’s link to obesity, there is no justification to replace fructose with glucose because there is no evidence of net harm,” said John Sievenpiper, a researcher in the Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Centre of St. Michael's.
Dr. Sievenpiper and his team compared the effects of fructose and glucose against several health risk factors and found that consuming fructose may increase total cholesterol and postprandial triglycerides, a type of fat found in blood.
However, fructose did not appear to affect insulin production, other fat levels in the blood stream or markers of fatty liver disease any more than glucose did.
In fact, fructose showed potential benefits over glucose in some key risk factor categories.
“Some healthcare analysts have thought fructose to be the cause of obesity because it’s metabolised differently than glucose,” said Sievenpiper.
In calorie-matched conditions, we found that fructose may actually be better at promoting healthy body weight, blood pressure and glycemic control than glucose, he added.
Fructose, a simple sugar found in honey, fruit, vegetables and other plants, is also the basis of high-fructose corn syrup - a sweetener often found in commercially prepared foods.
The combination of both fructose and glucose produces sucrose, generally known as table sugar.
Sievenpiper said he feels that over consumption, rather than a type of sugar, is one of the leading causes of obesity.
The findings were published in the journal Current Opinion in Lipidology.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’