Fungus, insects found in food samples in Delhi
New Delhi: Fungus, harmful chemical, insects and synthetic colour beyond permissible limit were found in various food articles and sweets lifted by Prevention of Food Adulteration Department of Delhi Government as part of a major drive.
PFA officials said out of total 289 samples, eight were found totally unsafe and cases have been registered against the traders involved in the adulteration. The samples were
lifted from various popular markets in East Delhi.
Another ten samples were found sub-standard while eight others were found with fake labels. The samples were lifted in the last one-and-half month following a directive from Health Minister A K Walia.
In view of the result of samples, Walia today issued afresh instruction to all out to lift samples of ghee, milk, paneer, cooking-oil, mid-day meals in schools, buck wheat in
considering the forthcoming festive season.
"We will come down very hard on the food adulterators and they will be punished as per provision of Food Safety and Standards Act," Walia said after a review meeting of
functioning of the PFA department.
The stringent legislation had come into force in the city last month. "We are determined to enforce the new law in true spirit," he said.
As per the legislation, manufacturers of adulterated food may face imprisonment up to seven years with fine of Rs 10 lakh. In case of death caused due to adulterated food items, the maximum punishment will be life term and fine will be up to Rs 10 lakh.
Walia instructed the Department to upgrade the existing laboratory and take immediate action to set up another advanced laboratory. He also directed the department to fill up the vacant posts.
Officials said fungus were found in samples of black peeper while insects were found in samples of rice.
Harmful chemical and synthetic colour beyond permissible limit were found in samples of sweets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?