Fungus, insects found in food samples in Delhi
New Delhi: Fungus, harmful chemical, insects and synthetic colour beyond permissible limit were found in various food articles and sweets lifted by Prevention of Food Adulteration Department of Delhi Government as part of a major drive.
PFA officials said out of total 289 samples, eight were found totally unsafe and cases have been registered against the traders involved in the adulteration. The samples were
lifted from various popular markets in East Delhi.
Another ten samples were found sub-standard while eight others were found with fake labels. The samples were lifted in the last one-and-half month following a directive from Health Minister A K Walia.
In view of the result of samples, Walia today issued afresh instruction to all out to lift samples of ghee, milk, paneer, cooking-oil, mid-day meals in schools, buck wheat in
considering the forthcoming festive season.
"We will come down very hard on the food adulterators and they will be punished as per provision of Food Safety and Standards Act," Walia said after a review meeting of
functioning of the PFA department.
The stringent legislation had come into force in the city last month. "We are determined to enforce the new law in true spirit," he said.
As per the legislation, manufacturers of adulterated food may face imprisonment up to seven years with fine of Rs 10 lakh. In case of death caused due to adulterated food items, the maximum punishment will be life term and fine will be up to Rs 10 lakh.
Walia instructed the Department to upgrade the existing laboratory and take immediate action to set up another advanced laboratory. He also directed the department to fill up the vacant posts.
Officials said fungus were found in samples of black peeper while insects were found in samples of rice.
Harmful chemical and synthetic colour beyond permissible limit were found in samples of sweets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared