Garlic breath? Eat an apple or drink milk
London: Eating an apple or drinking a small glass of milk can help you get rid of garlic breath, scientists have found.
The pungent odour of garlic is created by compounds containing sulphur, which move into the bloodstream when it is eaten and then out through the lungs and sweat glands.
Researchers at Ohio State University found the best way to get rid of the smell of garlic is by eating and drinking foods which neutralise it.
In an experiment, volunteers ate raw garlic and had four bad smelling compounds in their breath measured. They then ate foods which were thought to neutralise the smell.
Apples contain an oxidating enzyme which makes the fruit turn brown when it is exposed to the air. This enzyme sets off a chemical reaction which deodorises sulphides contained in garlic.
Poplyphenols, chemicals contained in green tea, work in a similar way to neutralise the compound.
The scientists also found that drinking lemon juice, because of its high acidity, neutralises the smell from crushed garlic, 'The Telegraph' reported.
Acidic liquids destroy allinase, an enzyme, which activates when garlic is crushed and releases the distinctive smell.
For the best effect the foods should be eaten with garlic, said Professor Barringer, of Ohio State University's food science and technology department.
A small glass of milk can also reduce the presence of garlic on the breath, researchers said.
The study has been published in the Journal of Food Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Euro 2016: Despite another failure, Spain reluctant to change 'tiki-taka' style of play
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final