Gates, Britain give $130 mn to fight polio
Davos: Internet billionaire Bill Gates and British Prime Minister David Cameron today gave USD 130 million between them to help developing countries eradicate polio.
"We need to take these next two years, to intensify the campaign. It`s an expensive campaign," Gates told the World Economic Forum in Davos.
"It costs about a billion a year to buy the drugs, to get the vaccines out there, to find the children. Our foundation is adding 100 million today to the polio campaign," the billionaire added, to applause.
Meanwhile, Cameron said that Britain would double its contribution to the campaign "from 30 million to 60 million dollars" despite his pledge to cut his government`s overall spending dramatically.
"There is never a wrong time to do the right thing," said the British PM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi