Gene mutations causing pancreatitis discovered
Hyderabad: Scientists from the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) and the Asian Institute of Gastroenterology (AIG) here, in collaboration with a group of scientists from abroad, have found a new `gene-association` with the onset of chronic pancreatitis.
"The scientists found that a few mutations in a gene called CPA1, that makes an enzyme called carboxipeptidase-A1, are associated with the disease pancreatitis," CCMB Director Ch Mohan Rao said at a press conference.
"These mutations make the enzyme fold incorrectly; misfolded proteins lose activity. In addition, misfolded or unfolded proteins cause stress in the cells. Cells respond to this stress by producing different molecules, either to help the protein to fold or to degrade it. Such responses might cause damage to pancreas leading to pancreatitis," he said.
Pancreas, a small organ in the human body, is responsible for production of insulin that maintains sugar levels. In addition to this, pancreas also produces enzymes that are required to digest food. Sometimes, inflammation of pancreas (pancreatitis) can lead to severe complications and if untreated, it can lead to cancer of pancreas as well, he said.
Chronic pancreatitis is more prevalent in south India and alcoholism and gall stones are the primary causes. However it is found to be occurring even otherwise, AIG Chairman D Nageshwar Reddy said.
The research has shown that the disease is caused by gene mutations, he said.
Though it will take some more time to prepare the complete picture of genetic susceptibility of Tropical Calcific Pancreatitis (TCP), the CCMB-AIG researchers are confident that the study has the potential for development of a genetic screening test for susceptibility to chronic pancreatitis among the Indian population.
The study will be appearing in the prestigious international journal `Nature Genetics`.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know