Genes influence male sexual orientation: Study
Washington: In significant discovery, researchers in the US have found fresh evidence that the male sexual orientation is influenced by genes.
The genes on at least two chromosomes affected whether a man was gay or straight, they claimed.
Scientists tested the DNA of 400 gay men.
They found that a region of the X chromosome called 'Xq28' had some impact on men's sexual behaviour.
Another stretch of DNA on chromosome 8 also played a role in male sexual orientation.
"Sexual orientation has nothing to do with choice. We found evidence for two sets of genes that affect whether a man is gay or straight,” said Michael Bailey, a psychologist at Northwestern University in Illinois.
But it is not completely determinative as there are certainly other environmental factors involved, the study added.
While genes do contribute to sexual orientation, other multiple factors play a greater role, perhaps including the levels of hormones a baby is exposed to in the womb.
When people say there's a gay gene, it's an oversimplification. There's more than one gene, and genetics is not the whole story.
“Whatever gene contributes to sexual orientation, you can think of it as much as contributing to heterosexuality as much as you can think of it contributing to homosexuality. It contributes to a variation in the trait,” explained Bailey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered