Genetic basis of early hearing loss uncovered
Melbourne: Australian scientists have claimed to have discovered how a genetic mutation causes people to lose their hearing in their early twenties.
According to Monash university statement, scientists from its university and University of Melbourne found the link.
The study, now published in the American Journal of Pathology, has been led by Phillip Bird and Dion Kaiserman from Monash University`s School of Biomedical Sciences.
It builds understanding of a genetic mutation discovered in 2010.
The mutation induces malfunction of an inhibitor, SERPINB6, which protects inner ear cells from destruction.
"We cannot yet identify how SERPINB6 mutation accelerates hearing loss, but affected people can lose their hearing in their twenties, rather than their sixties," Bird said.
Using animal models to mimic the progression of SERPINB6-accelerated hearing loss in humans, Justin Tan from Melbourne University`s Department of Otolaryngology found that specialised hearing cells in the inner ear were affected.
The sensory cells that detect sound and neighbouring fibrocytes that support them were destroyed.
Bird said that the destruction of fibrocytes was uncommon and significant.
"We are finally beginning to understand the role of these proteins in protecting our hearing," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks