Genetic code of world`s oldest person unravelled
Melbourne: The entire DNA sequence of a Dutch woman who held the title of the world’s oldest person when she died, aged 115, could help us understand the biology of aging, scientists say.
A team led by Henne Holstege, of the VU University Medical Center in Amsterdam, has begun to compare DNA from Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper’s blood and brain, to determine how different genetic mutations arise in these tissues.
The genome will provide researchers with an unprecedented resource for investigating how DNA contributes to longevity and diseases of old age such as Alzheimer’s.
Van Andel-Schipper died of gastric cancer, having survived breast cancer at the age of 100. Her mother also lived to be a centenarian.
At the age of 82 she agreed to donate her body to medical science -- though this was not to happen for 33 years.
After van Andel-Schipper’s death her brain was examined by neuroscientists who found no signs of any of the damage associated with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia, which previously had been considered inevitable at that age.
Holstege told The (London) Times that she hoped the study would shed light on whether van Andel-Schipper’s genes had protected her against dementia and other conditions related to aging, such as hardening of the arteries.
She also hoped that the genome would become a reference for future studies of the genetics of aging.
“You can check against it if you’re doing research into Alzheimer’s or atherosclerosis. Her genome has all the elements of not getting these conditions,” the Herald Sun quoted her as telling the paper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam