Genetic mutation linked to Alzheimer’s disease
Washington: A mutation in an immune system gene may contribute to a person’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, Canadian researchers have found.
Using data from 25,000 people, researchers from the Faculty of Medicine and University College London’s Institute of Neurology discovered that a rare genetic mutation in the TREM2 gene — which helps trigger immune system responses — is also associated with increased risk of Alzheimer’s.
The discovery supports an emerging theory about the role of the immune system in the disease.
"This discovery provides an increasingly firm link between brain inflammation and increased risk for Alzheimer’s," says Dr. Peter St George-Hyslop, director of University of Toronto’s Tanz Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases.
"This is an important step towards unraveling the hidden causes of this disease, so that we can develop treatments and interventions to end one of the 21st century’s most significant health challenges."
The team began by sequencing the genes of 1,092 people with Alzheimer’s and a control group of 1,107 healthy people. The results showed several mutations in the TREM2 gene occurred more frequently in people who had the disease than in those without the disease. One mutation – known as R47H – had a particularly strong association with the disease.
The mutation makes a patient three times more likely to develop the disease, although it affects just 0.3 per cent of the population.
"While the genetic mutation we found is extremely rare, its effect on the immune system is a strong indicator that this system may be a key player in the disease," says Dr. Rita Geurreiro from UCL, the study’s lead author.
The study has been published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video