Germs in gums can reveal ethnicity: Study
New York: The bacteria in the human mouth - particularly those nestled under the gums - are as powerful as a fingerprint at identifying a person's ethnicity, a research has found.
The research was published in the latest issue of the journal PLOS ONE.
Scientists from the Ohio State University identified almost 400 different species of microbes in the mouths of 100 study participants belonging to four ethnic affiliations - Chinese, Latinos, whites and non-Hispanic blacks.
Researchers collected samples of bacteria from the saliva, tooth surfaces and under the gums of the participants.
Researchers think the findings could help explain why people in some ethnic groups, especially African Americans and Latinos, are more susceptible than others to developing gum disease.
Kumar said bacteria below the gums are most closely linked to ethnicity identification because they are the least likely to be disrupted by environmental changes in the mouth, such as food, toothpaste and tobacco.
"This is the first time it has been shown that ethnicity is a huge component in determining what you carry in your mouth," Purnima Kumar, associate professor at The Ohio State University and senior author of the study said.
"We know that our food and oral hygiene habits determine what bacteria can survive and thrive in our mouths, which is why your dentist stresses brushing and flossing. Can your genetic makeup play a similar role? The answer seems to be yes, it can," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video