Ghana testing blood samples of suspected Ebola case: Official
Accra: Health authorities in Ghana are testing blood samples from a 12-year-old girl who died of a viral fever with bleeding in the country`s first suspected case of Ebola, officials said on Sunday.
More than 90 people have died of Ebola in Guinea and Liberia and there is a reported case in Mali. Medical charity Medicins Sans Frontieres has warned of an unprecedented epidemic in an impoverished region with weak health services.
Samples from the girl were taken from the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi, Ghana`s second-largest city, to a medical research centre in the capital Accra, Dennis Laryea, head of public health at the teaching hospital said.
"We are working around the clock to confirm whether it is that (Ebola) or not and once we are able to confirm, we`ll put all the necessary information out," Laryea said, adding that he hoped for results within 24 hours.
He said the girl died of a viral hemorrhagic fever, which could be traced to various diseases including Ebola, but declined to give details about her background.
"I must stress that at this stage it is just a case of fever and bleeding. The testing of the samples is precautionary," said hospital spokesman Kwame Frimpong.
The outbreak in Guinea is the first time the disease, epidemics of which occur regularly in Central Africa, has appeared in the country. Infected patients initially went undiagnosed for several weeks before tests confirmed Ebola.
On Friday, an angry crowd attacked an Ebola treatment centre in Guinea, accusing MSF staff of bringing the disease to the town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor