Glass of red wine can help regulate diabetes
London: A small glass of red wine consumed daily can keep adult diabetes under control, says research.
A new study found that the drink contains high concentrations of chemicals that help the body regulate levels of sugar in the blood.
High levels of sugar in the blood can cause tiredness, heart disease, strokes, blindness, nerve damage and kidney disease, reports the journal Food and Function.
The condition occurs when the pancreas is unable to produce enough insulin - the hormone that regulates blood sugar - or when its insulin does not work properly, according to the Daily Mail.
Just a small glass of red wine contains as many of these active ingredients as a daily dose of an anti-diabetic drug, the researchers found.
Although the study didn`t look at the effects of wine on people, study authors believe moderate drinking as part of a calorie controlled diet could protect against type 2 diabetes.
Past studies have shown that natural chemicals found in grape skin and wine called polyphenols can help the body control glucose levels, and prevent potentially dangerous spikes or dips in blood sugar.
The new study compared the polyphenol content of 12 different wine varieties. The team, from the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, found that levels were higher in red wines.
However, their conclusions angered Diabetes UK who accused the researchers of making "astonishingly bold suggestions" based on "limited research".
The charity warned that wine was so high in calories that it could lead to weight gain - outweighing any benefit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers