Glenmark enters phase II trial for new drug molecule
New Delhi: Drug maker Glenmark Pharmaceuticals today said it has entered the phase II clinical trials for its new drug molecule aimed at treating ulcerative colitis.
The company`s subsidiary Glenmark Pharmaceuticals SA will conduct trials at multiple clinical sites in North America and Europe to investigate the efficacy and safety of the new molecule GBR 500, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals said in a statement.
It is expected that the trial will include nearly eighty four patients with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis (UC), it added.
Commenting on the development Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Chief Scientific Officer Michael Buschle said: "Despite treatment advances in recent years, UC remains a debilitating condition for many individuals, and represents an area of substantial unmet medical need."
This Phase II clinical trial is part of a strategic global collaboration between Glenmark and Sanofi to investigate GBR 500 for the treatment of chronic inflammatory disorders, the company said.
Sanofi has been licensed the rights to all therapeutic indications and is conducting the clinical development program including this trial, it added.
Individuals participating in the study will receive multiple doses of either GBR 500 or placebo, administered over a period of several weeks, it added.
In the Phase II clinical trials of drug development, a larger group of people (100-300) is given experimental treatment to check the efficacy and safety of the molecule.
The company has completed Phase I trials (done on a smaller set of human subjects) of GBR 500, a monoclonal antibody in the US, Glenmark said.
Shares of Glenmark Pharmaceuticals were today trading at Rs 435 per scrip on BSE, up 0.88 per cent from its previous close.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata