Global hunger `unacceptably high` despite decline
Rome: The number of undernourished people around the world has declined by nearly 10 percent in the last year, the first time a drop in famine has been recorded since 1995, the UN food agency said Tuesday.
A total of 925 million people are undernourished in 2010 compared with 1.023 billion last year, the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) said in a hunger report, revealing a drop of 9.6 percent.
However the FAO insisted that "the number of undernourished people in the world remains unacceptably high".The decline, the first in 15 years, "is largely attributable to a more favourable economic environment in 2010 - particularly in developing countries - and the fall in both international and domestic food prices since 2008".
However, "the fact that nearly a billion people remain hungry, even after the recent food and financial crises have largely passed, indicates a deeper structural problem".
The UN agency urged governments to "encourage increased investment in agriculture, expand safety nets and social assistance programmes, and enhance income-generating activities for the rural and urban poor."
Analysis of hunger during financial crisis and recovery also brought to the fore "the insufficient resilience to economic shocks of many poor countries and households, the FAO warned.
"Lack of appropriate mechanisms to deal with the shocks or to protect the most vulnerable populations from their effects result in large swings in hunger following crises.” When the crisis is over there should be no relaxation in the fight against famine, the FAO urged.
"Vulnerable households may deal with shocks by selling assets, which are very difficult to rebuild, by reducing food consumption in terms of quantity and variety, and by cutting down on health and education expenditures".
These coping mechanisms "all have long-term negative effects on the quality of life and livelihoods", the FAO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly