GM dairy products in Chinese markets soon
Beijing: People in China may soon find genetically modified (GM) dairy products, which are similar to human milk, being available in the Chinese markets, a biotechnology expert has predicted.
These are hoped to be available in the market within the next two years.
Chinese scientists have created a herd of over 200 cows, who can produce milk that contains the characteristics of human milk. The technology is at the cutting edge worldwide and will ensure "healthy protein contained in human milk is affordable for ordinary consumers", China Daily quoted Li Ning, a scientist at the Chinese Academy of Engineering as saying.
Li, who is also director of the State Key Laboratories for Agro Biotechnology at China Agricultural University, says progress in the field is underway.
"The milk tastes stronger than normal milk," says Li and adds: "Within 10 years, people will be able to pick up these human-milk-like products at the supermarket."
"In ancient China, only the emperor and the empress could drink human milk throughout their lives, which was believed to be the height of opulence," says Li and asks: "Why not make that kind of milk more available for ordinary people?"
Human milk contains two kinds of nutrition that can help improve the immune systems and the central nervous systems of children. The components are not available in milk produced by goats or cows.
The scientific world had not previously found a way to mass-produce those ingredients. The GM milk will be as safe to drink as that of the ordinary cows, he added.
China`s Ministry of Agriculture issued bio-safety examination certificates for the GM herd in March 2010, giving the scientific team a 22-month period during which the technology can be tested in laboratories.
The ministry will then evaluate the results of the tests before deciding whether to allow the milk to be sold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note