Goa has most diabetics in 40-plus age group
Panaji: Goa has the highest rate of diabetes in the country among people over 40 years of age, a doctor said Friday.
Dr. Digambar Naik, heading the Confederation of Indian Industry`s (CII) health panel, told reporters here that Goa had approximately one lakh diabetics in a population of 15 lakh.
"Amongst those above the age of 40 in Goa, over 18 percent have diabetes. The rate is the highest in the country," said Naik.
Naik was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function where CII announced its initiative to promote thorough health check-ups in the state`s industries aimed at upping productivity.
Asked if there was a geographical pattern to the spread of diabetes in Goa, Naik said: "It is evenly spread across rural and urban Goa."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident