Gold nanoparticles diagnosis of liver cancer
Washington: A research team led by Brown University has come up with promising results for earlier diagnosis of Hepatocellular carcinoma, which is the most common cancer to strike the liver.
In lab tests, the team used gold nanoparticles ringed by a charged polymer coating and an X-ray scatter imaging technique to spot tumour-like masses as small as 5 millimeters.
It is the first time that metal nanoparticles have been used as agents to enhance X-ray scattering signals to image tumour-like masses.
"What we``re doing is not a screening method," said Christoph Rose-Petruck, professor of chemistry at Brown University and corresponding author on the paper.
"But in a routine exam, with people who have risk factors, such as certain types of hepatitis, we can use this technique to see a tumor that is just a few millimeters in diameter, which, in terms of size, is a factor of 10 smaller,” added Rose-Petruck.
The team took gold nanoparticles of 10 and 50 nanometers in diameter and ringed them with a pair of 1-nanometer polyelectrolyte coatings. The coating gave the nanoparticles a charge, which increased the chances that they would be engulfed by the cancerous cells. Once engulfed, the team used X-ray scatter imaging to detect the gold nanoparticles within the malignant cells.
In lab tests, the nontoxic gold nanoparticles made up just 0.0006 percent of the cell``s volume, yet the nanoparticles had enough critical mass to be detected by the X-ray scatter imaging device.
"We have shown that even with these small numbers, we can distinguish these [tumor] cells," said Rose-Petruck.
The study has been detailed in the American Chemical Society journal Nano Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you