Good sleep reduces teenagers` chances of using drugs: Study
London: Teenagers who get a good night`s
sleep are less likely to use drugs, a new research suggests.
Restricting watching television and using computers and
mobiles late at night helps reduce the chances of children
trying marijuana, a new study shows.
Besides, parents should also ensure that their children`s
friends are well?rested, as the research of 8,349 teenagers
found that not only were both habits linked but that they
"spread" within social groups, the Telegraph reported.
"Our behaviour are connected to each other and we need
to start thinking about how one behaviour affects our lives on
"Therefore, when parents, schools and law enforcement
want to look for ways to influence one outcome, such as drug
use, our research suggests that targeting another behaviour,
like sleep, may have a positive influence," said lead
researcher Sara Mednick.
Asserting that there were many ways to promote healthy
sleeping habits, Mednick from the University of California
said: "Take the TV out of the child`s bedroom, limit computer
and phone usage to daytime and early evening hours, and
The researchers also found that getting little sleep and
using drugs were habits that "spread" through a teenager`s
Teens were more likely to suffer from sleep deprivation
if their friends did, or even their friends of friends did,
said the findings published in the journal PLOS One show.
"This is our first investigation of the spread of illegal
drug use in social networks, and we believe it is also the
first study in any age population on the spread of sleep
behaviours through social networks," Mednick said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Emaar MGF defends Rahul Gandhi, says allegations levelled by BJP MP are baseless
- Gold price slides by Rs 150 to Rs 30,100 per 10 grams
- SHOCKING! Twitterati abuse Pakistani girl, ask her 'hourly rates' as she wrote blog on 'sex as young woman'
- Salman Khan, Ajay Devgn fans go berserk on Twitter, thanks to Shah Rukh Khan – Know why
- Uttarakhand High Court Chief Justic KM Joseph, who quashed President's rule, transferred