Govt mulling to introduce new code on Doctor-pharma nexus
New Delhi: The government is planning to introduce `Uniform Code of Pharmaceutical Marketing Practices` to deal with the alleged nexus between doctors and drug companies, the Lok Sabha was informed today.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, in his written reply to a question in the House, said his Ministry had received 702 complaints against doctors regarding their alleged nexus with drug manufacturers.
The complaints have been referred to the Medical Council of India (MCI) for action, he said.
"The government proposes to make the existing provisions more stringent through `Uniform Code of Pharmaceutical Marketing Practices` (UCPMP) proposed by the Department of Pharmaceuticals," Azad said in his written reply.
He said a total of 702 such complaints against doctors have been received by the MCI in 2011-12, of which 343 have been referred to state Medical Councils/governments, while registration of three doctors has been temporarily suspended and one doctor has been given a warning and 168 cases are under consideration of the MCI.
In 2010-11, Azad said, a total of 824 complaints were received and 468 were referred to State Medical Councils/ governments wile registration of 10 doctors was suspended temporarily and warnings issued to four doctors.
Similarly, 769 complaints against doctors were received by MCI in 2009-10 and registration of 16 doctors was suspended temporarily and warnings issued to six doctors, while remaining 254 cases were referred to states.
Azad said MCI takes action in such complaints as per provisions of the Indian Medical Council (Professional conduct, Etiquette and Ethics) Regulations, 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees