Govt scaling up newborn care units for better services
New Delhi: Newborn care units across the country are being scaled up under the National Rural Health Mission in association with UNICEF to address monitoring gaps in the quality of service at these facilities, an official said Tuesday.
UNICEF has provided technical assistance to Madhya Pradesh government in the latter's bid to reduce the newborn mortality rate and the said arrangement was lauded at the national level, said Karin Hulshof, UNICEF Regional Director (South Asia) at an interaction here.
Now, the same model is being implemented across the country with scaled up operations achieved in five states ? Rajasthan, Assam, Maharashtra, Haryana and Andhra Pradesh ? Hulshof added.
Madhya Pradesh government and UNICEF have developed a real -time, special newborn care unit (SNCU) online data management and follow-up tracking system which monitors the quality of care at these facilities and tracks newborns till they are a year old, she said.
Madhya Pradesh has the highest infant mortality rate in the country and the state government has joined hands with UNICEF to initiate steps for improving health indices.
The number of maternity centres in Madhya Pradesh is being increased from 900 to 1,597 and special newborn care units are being run at 44 district hospitals in the state.
"We are using new technology which would also involve application of new ideas that are piloted through smaller versions before they are scaled up exponentially," she said.
Hulshof also spoke about a school-led sanitation campaign in Nepal for which the Nepalese government has set 2017 as the target for making the country "open defecation free".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble