Gujarat govt to launch campaign against post-polio syndrome
Vadodara: Following the eradication of polio from Gujarat in 2007, the state health ministry is going to launch an awareness campaign on Post-Polio Syndrome (PPS) Tuesday, on the 53rd Foundation Day of the state.
PPS is a condition which affects polio survivors years after recovery from polio virus infection.
Health and Family Welfare minister Jaynarayan Vyas made the announcement after inaugurating an international seminar on PPS here today.
"Gujarat is the first state in the entire country which has taken up a fight against PPS," he said.
Under the campaign, polio victims would be identified and educated about how to deal with the disease. There are about 4 to 5 lakh polio survivors in the state, Vyas said.
He also congratulated Balkrushna Shukla, local BJP MP, for tabling a private bill in the Lok Sabha, which provides for measures to deal with PPS.
Dr D R Rai, Honorary Secretary General, Indian Medical Association, said, "PPS is mainly characterised by weakening of muscles that are previously affected by the polio infection, but this can be dealt with through a proper medical intervention."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit, a sign of anti-elite revolt: analysts
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh had a bitter fall-out on their Paris vacay? - Details inside
- Jayalalithaa urges PM Narendra Modi to get fishermen released from Sri Lanka
- 'Girl boss': Sushmita Sen's weekend getaway with her adorable daughters!
- Getting out of bad relationship good for your health