Gut bugs help build healthy bones
Washington: A natural probiotic supplement can help treat people with osteoporosis and produce healthy bones, according to a new study. Probiotics are bugs that can help balance the immune system.
"We know that inflammation in the gut can cause bone loss, though it`s unclear exactly why," said Laura McCabe, professor of physiology and radiology, Michigan State University (MSU).
"The neat thing we found is that a probiotic can enhance bone density."
Researchers fed mice Lactobacillus reuteri, a probiotic known to reduce inflammation, a sometimes harmful effect of the body`s immune response to infection, the Journal of Cellular Physiology reports.
"Through food fermentation, we`ve been eating bacteria that we classify as probiotics for thousands of years," said co-author Robert Britton, associate professor of microbiology and molecular genetics at Michigan.
"There`s evidence that this bacterium as a species has co-evolved with humans. It`s indigenous to our intestinal tracts and is something that, if missing, might cause problems," Britton added, according to a Michigan statement.
In the study, the male mice showed a significant increase in bone density after four weeks of treatment.
There was no such effect when the researchers repeated the experiment with female mice, an anomaly they`re now investigating.
By 2020, half of all Americans over 50 are expected to have low bone density or osteoporosis, according to the National Osteoporosis Foundation.
About one in two women and one in four men over 50 will break a bone due to osteoporosis.
Drugs to prevent bone loss in osteoporosis patients are already in wide use, but over the long term they can disrupt the natural remodelling of bone tissue and could potentially have negative side effects including unusual bone fractures and joint and muscle pain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India