GVK Bio, USFDA in drug repositioning collaboration
New Delhi: GVK Biosciences today said it has licensed its proprietary databases to the USFDA as part of a collaboration in drug repositioning to identify alternative therapeutic indications of marketed compounds for neglected and orphan diseases.
Under the agreement, GVK Bio has licensed its SAR, PK and Toxicity Database (GOSTAR) to the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA), the company said in a statement.
"The material transfer agreement forms the basis of collaboration in drug repositioning, wherein the initial focus will be to identify alternative therapeutic indications of marketed compounds for neglected and orphan diseases," it added.
Drug repositioning is the process of application of known drugs and compounds to new diseases.
Commenting on the development, GVK Biosciences CEO Manni Kantipudi said: "Drug Repositioning is gaining traction in the industry and in academia, and is becoming a mandatory component of the Drug Development Process. The GOSTAR product will prove valuable in allowing researchers to use multiple Repositioning and Repurposing approaches and address multiple targets in parallel."
The company is looking forward to continue working and collaborating with the FDA with a view to further enhancing the utility of the product, he added.
GVK Bio said it had developed a proprietary `Drug Repurposing Platform` with eight different approaches to address the drug repurposing challenge.
GOSTAR, a manually curated database, has been developed over the span of a decade by a team comprising of more than 200 scientists, the company said.
The database and application is being used globally by pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies as well as academia and has been cited in numerous publications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?