Half of world`s food `thrown away` every year: Report
London: Half of all the food produced in the world is being wasted every year, a report has said.
According to experts, as much as two billion tons is wasted because of overly strict sell-by dates, buy-one-get-one-free offers and consumer fussiness.
The report by independent scientific body the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, said that half of food purchased in Europe and the US is thrown away as needless waste while elsewhere there are other problems like storage, the Daily Express reports.
Dr Tim Fox, of the institution, said that `the amount of food wasted is staggering`.
Dr Fox pointed out that the reasons for this situation range from poor engineering and agricultural practices, inadequate transport and storage infrastructure through to supermarkets demanding cosmetically perfect foodstuffs.
According to the report, in the UK, up to 30 percent of vegetables are not harvested because their physical appearance fails to meet the exacting demands of the supermarkets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!