Half of world`s food `thrown away` every year: Report
London: Half of all the food produced in the world is being wasted every year, a report has said.
According to experts, as much as two billion tons is wasted because of overly strict sell-by dates, buy-one-get-one-free offers and consumer fussiness.
The report by independent scientific body the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, said that half of food purchased in Europe and the US is thrown away as needless waste while elsewhere there are other problems like storage, the Daily Express reports.
Dr Tim Fox, of the institution, said that `the amount of food wasted is staggering`.
Dr Fox pointed out that the reasons for this situation range from poor engineering and agricultural practices, inadequate transport and storage infrastructure through to supermarkets demanding cosmetically perfect foodstuffs.
According to the report, in the UK, up to 30 percent of vegetables are not harvested because their physical appearance fails to meet the exacting demands of the supermarkets.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed