Half of world`s food `thrown away` every year: Report
London: Half of all the food produced in the world is being wasted every year, a report has said.
According to experts, as much as two billion tons is wasted because of overly strict sell-by dates, buy-one-get-one-free offers and consumer fussiness.
The report by independent scientific body the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, said that half of food purchased in Europe and the US is thrown away as needless waste while elsewhere there are other problems like storage, the Daily Express reports.
Dr Tim Fox, of the institution, said that `the amount of food wasted is staggering`.
Dr Fox pointed out that the reasons for this situation range from poor engineering and agricultural practices, inadequate transport and storage infrastructure through to supermarkets demanding cosmetically perfect foodstuffs.
According to the report, in the UK, up to 30 percent of vegetables are not harvested because their physical appearance fails to meet the exacting demands of the supermarkets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter