Hangovers only get worse with age
Hangovers actually get worse as we get older, according to an expert.
in upstate Schenectady, told MSNBC that as people age, their bodies are not as adept at processing alcohol as they once were.
"The critical enzymes for breaking down booze are somewhat diminished in efficiency as we age," the New York Daily News quoted Schaefer as saying.
According to Schaefer, the body depends on the enzymes alcohol dehydrogenase, or ALDH, and aldehyde dehydrogenase, or ADH, to break down alcohol into a nontoxic substance called acetic acid.
As those enzyme levels go down, hangovers get worse.
If you do plan to party, Schaefer says, keep another point in mind: Pounding cheap booze leads to pounding headaches the next morning. Inexpensive beer, wine and liquor are guaranteed to intensify hangovers over pricier options, he said.
"The more expensive liquors are often filtered and triple or more distilled -- thus, cleaner alcohol, less junk," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez