Hangovers only get worse with age
Hangovers actually get worse as we get older, according to an expert.
in upstate Schenectady, told MSNBC that as people age, their bodies are not as adept at processing alcohol as they once were.
"The critical enzymes for breaking down booze are somewhat diminished in efficiency as we age," the New York Daily News quoted Schaefer as saying.
According to Schaefer, the body depends on the enzymes alcohol dehydrogenase, or ALDH, and aldehyde dehydrogenase, or ADH, to break down alcohol into a nontoxic substance called acetic acid.
As those enzyme levels go down, hangovers get worse.
If you do plan to party, Schaefer says, keep another point in mind: Pounding cheap booze leads to pounding headaches the next morning. Inexpensive beer, wine and liquor are guaranteed to intensify hangovers over pricier options, he said.
"The more expensive liquors are often filtered and triple or more distilled -- thus, cleaner alcohol, less junk," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India