Having green space near house can improve mental health
Washington: A new research has shown for the first time that green space does appear to improve mental health in a sustained way.
Mathew P. White and colleagues note that mental well-being is a major public health issue, with unipolar depressive disorder the leading cause of disability in middle- to high-income countries.
Some research suggests that part of the blame for this unhappiness lies in increased urbanization - nearly 80 percent of the world's population in more developed regions live in city environments, which tend to have little room for nature.
Other studies suggest a link between happiness and green space, but no research had convincingly established cause and effect of nature on well-being over time. To help fill that gap, White's team decided to examine the issue.
To figure out if nature makes people feel better in the long run, they compared the mental health of hundreds of people in the UK who went from a grey urban setting to a greener one with those who moved in the opposite direction.
Mental health data showed that the people who moved to greener areas were happier during all three years that their health was tracked after relocating.
The study is published in the ACS journal Environmental Science and Technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations