HC issues contempt notices for neglect of kids` hospital
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court today issued contempt notices to Uttar Pradesh government and senior officials of hospitals for failing to improve the condition of a children`s hospital here despite a court order for the same.
The order was passed by a vacation bench comprising Justice Sunil Ambawani and Justice Sunita Agrawal which had taken suo motu notice of a media report a few days ago the "pathetic" situation at the S N Children Hospital and set up a team of two advocates which visited the hospital yesterday and submitted its report today.
"We are deeply concerned over the negligent attitude of the Principal of the Motilal Nehru Medical College, Allahabad, Superintedent-in-Chief, Swaroop Rani Nehru Hospital attached to it, Head of the Department of Pediatrics, Swaroop Rani Hospital, Allahabad and the Doctors/Incharge of the S N Children Hospital, Allahabad", the court said.
"We find that they have committed gross negligence in allowing the children to die in a pitiable condition", the bench said, adding "we find that the Principal Secretary, Medical Education, UP, is also equally responsible" as he too was directed along with the aforesaid officials", it added.
The earlier HC order was passed on a PIL regarding the condition at the Children Hospital "to make provisions for improving the facilities at the hospital".
The court also warned if the conditions at the Children Hospital, which is catering to the medical needs of children from almost 20 districts, is not improved, the court may pass orders for disciplinary action against them in addition to taking action in contempt proceedings as lives of children are more precious than continuance of these officers in service.
Directing all the officials to appear in person on July 4, the HC asked them "to file affidavits to show cause as to why each of them should not be punished for committing contempt of the order dated 25.05.2010".
The notice was issued to the Principal Secretary, Medical Education, of Uttar Pradesh, the Principal of city-based Moti Lal Nehru Medical College, the Superintendent-in-Chief of Swaroop Rani Nehru Hospital attached to it and other medical officials concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- CBI raids Visva Bharati varsity, officers' residences
- Substantial decline in riots and communal incidents: Naqvi
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM