Health experts want strict implementation of PCPNDT Act
Berhampur: Health experts and activists have sought concrete steps for strict implementation of the Pre Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prevention of Sex Selection) Act, known as PCPNDT Act to prevent sex determination in Odisha.
Low male-female sex ratio in the state has direct linkage with misuse of technology for sex determination and sex selective abortion, they said at a workshop held here over the weekend on `Strengthening monitoring of PCPNDT Act implementation in Odisha`.
The workshop was organised by Odisha State Legal Services Authority (OSLSA) in collaboration with the Department of Health and Family Welfare, state government and United Nations Population Fund (UNPF).
Several health activists and experts from Ganjam, Gajapati, Koraput, Malkanagiri, Nabarangapur, Rayagada and Kandhamal attended the workshop.
The objective of the workshop was to sensitise NGO functionaries?on different provisions under the PCPNDT Act and to prepare a roadmap for local level action for its better implementation, said member secretary of OSLSA B C Rath.
The workshop assumed significance as the child sex ratio in the state stands at an all time low of 934 girls per 1000 boys.The child ratio dipped alarmingly to less than 900 in four districts of Ganjam, Nayagarh, Dhenkanal and Angul, said Deputy Director, family welfare R K Mishra.
Several judicial and health officers, including the chief district medical officer, Ganjam S K Patnaik discussed different aspects of the Act and problems faced in its proper implementation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday