Health experts want strict implementation of PCPNDT Act
Berhampur: Health experts and activists have sought concrete steps for strict implementation of the Pre Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prevention of Sex Selection) Act, known as PCPNDT Act to prevent sex determination in Odisha.
Low male-female sex ratio in the state has direct linkage with misuse of technology for sex determination and sex selective abortion, they said at a workshop held here over the weekend on `Strengthening monitoring of PCPNDT Act implementation in Odisha`.
The workshop was organised by Odisha State Legal Services Authority (OSLSA) in collaboration with the Department of Health and Family Welfare, state government and United Nations Population Fund (UNPF).
Several health activists and experts from Ganjam, Gajapati, Koraput, Malkanagiri, Nabarangapur, Rayagada and Kandhamal attended the workshop.
The objective of the workshop was to sensitise NGO functionaries?on different provisions under the PCPNDT Act and to prepare a roadmap for local level action for its better implementation, said member secretary of OSLSA B C Rath.
The workshop assumed significance as the child sex ratio in the state stands at an all time low of 934 girls per 1000 boys.The child ratio dipped alarmingly to less than 900 in four districts of Ganjam, Nayagarh, Dhenkanal and Angul, said Deputy Director, family welfare R K Mishra.
Several judicial and health officers, including the chief district medical officer, Ganjam S K Patnaik discussed different aspects of the Act and problems faced in its proper implementation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- German nationalist slammed over racist comment on Jerome Boateng
- 3D model demonstrates how sea waves transport materials within aquatic ecosystems
- Two legends, one pic! Amitabh Bachchan shares memorable moment with father Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Rohan Bopanna, Leander Paes reach French Open quarters
- Narendra Modi addresses 'Vikas Parv' rally in Karnataka, unveils cooking gas scheme for poor