Health facts to know
Doctors’ consultation fees have gone up by over 50% in the last 2 years, while diagnostic costs have almost doubled.
8% of medical expenditure in India is paid from out of the pocket.
Nearly 39 million people in India are pushed to poverty because of ill health every year. About 47% of hospital admission in rural India and 31% in urban India, are financed by loans and sale of assets.
Most medicines for hemophilia are imported, that’s why a patient may have to shell out up to 2.5 lakh per year.
According to a study by Center for Enquiry in health and allied themes (CEHAT), Mumbai, in 2006, while per capita income grew at 3.76% a year, private health expenditure grew at rate of 10.88% a year.
The World Health Organization recommends 25 health care workers for 10,000 people, but India has only 19, of whom only 6 are certified doctors.
Public spending on healthcare is inadequate, standing at 1% of GDP.
Shortfall in public healthcare is huge which accounts to around 76% for doctors and 75% for nurses, 585 for pharmacist.
According to a WHO report, 10% of India’s population comes under some form of disability.
India’s pharmaceutical industry and its export are worth $8.5 million.
In India 200,000 people need a new kidney every year and 100,000 need a new liver, only 2 percent to 3 percent of the demand for new organs is met.
An estimated 3, 000 doctors migrate from India every year. This not only hurt exchequer, but has also affected the availability of trained doctors in both rural and urban India.
Arthritis affects 50% of India’s elderly
According to a WHO report, heart disease would be the largest cause of death and disability in India by 2020. Every year 3 million people in the country die because of heart disease. It is estimated that 12 % of Indian population suffers from heart disease.
Currently, India has 61 million diabetic patients.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble