Health facts to know
Doctors’ consultation fees have gone up by over 50% in the last 2 years, while diagnostic costs have almost doubled.
8% of medical expenditure in India is paid from out of the pocket.
Nearly 39 million people in India are pushed to poverty because of ill health every year. About 47% of hospital admission in rural India and 31% in urban India, are financed by loans and sale of assets.
Most medicines for hemophilia are imported, that’s why a patient may have to shell out up to 2.5 lakh per year.
According to a study by Center for Enquiry in health and allied themes (CEHAT), Mumbai, in 2006, while per capita income grew at 3.76% a year, private health expenditure grew at rate of 10.88% a year.
The World Health Organization recommends 25 health care workers for 10,000 people, but India has only 19, of whom only 6 are certified doctors.
Public spending on healthcare is inadequate, standing at 1% of GDP.
Shortfall in public healthcare is huge which accounts to around 76% for doctors and 75% for nurses, 585 for pharmacist.
According to a WHO report, 10% of India’s population comes under some form of disability.
India’s pharmaceutical industry and its export are worth $8.5 million.
In India 200,000 people need a new kidney every year and 100,000 need a new liver, only 2 percent to 3 percent of the demand for new organs is met.
An estimated 3, 000 doctors migrate from India every year. This not only hurt exchequer, but has also affected the availability of trained doctors in both rural and urban India.
Arthritis affects 50% of India’s elderly
According to a WHO report, heart disease would be the largest cause of death and disability in India by 2020. Every year 3 million people in the country die because of heart disease. It is estimated that 12 % of Indian population suffers from heart disease.
Currently, India has 61 million diabetic patients.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP